- HEART SAFE SINGAPORE
- WHY DO I NEED TO LEARN CPR?
- CPR 3A (ANYONE, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE) PROGRAMME
- CPR+AED CERTIFICATION @ SHF
- CPR+AED INSTRUCTOR COURSE
- BASIC CARDIAC LIFE SUPPORT (BCLS) COURSE
- BASIC CARDIAC LIFE SUPPORT (BCLS) RE-CERTIFICATION COURSE
- BASIC CARDIAC LIFE SUPPORT (BCLS) INSTRUCTOR COURSE
- CPR+AED AWARENESS TALK
- R-AEDI PROJECT
- DARE PROGRAMME
- AED LOAN PROGRAMME
- HEART4LIFE MOBILE APP
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Chain of Survival?
- What is CPR?
- What is an AED?
- What is the CPR+AED Certification @ SHF?
- Some First Aid with CPR courses require one full training day. This programme is only four hours long. Is the teaching of skills compromised?
- What is the unique selling proposition of the CPR+AED Certification @ SHF?
- Who are the target participants?
- How do I receive a certificate?
- Is there an expiry date to the certification?
- Are there any pre-requisites or requirements before I can sign up?
- Do I need to do any readings before coming to the course?
- When and where will the course be held?
- Is there a dress code?
- How much is the course fee?
- How do I sign up?
- How do I pay?
The Chain of Survival comprises four vital links that can save a life in cardiac emergencies: early recognition and access, early CPR, early defibrillation and advance cardiac life support. Our knowledge of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and the use of Automated External Defibrillator (AED) is hence extremely important in reducing the number of sudden cardiac deaths. CPR and AED, if duly administered in the few critical minutes just after collapse, will skew the Chain of Survival equation towards higher chances of survival.
CPR is an emergency procedure for restoring the breathing and heartbeat of an unconscious victim of heart attack, drowning, strangulation, suffocation, electrocution, drug over dose, carbon monoxide poisoning or accident. It is a combination of mouth-to-mouth breathing and chest compressions. The primary objective is to deliver continuous flow of oxygen to the lungs and brain. CPR essentially buys time for the victim until AED and emergency care arrive. Early CPR is the second critical link in the Chain of Survival.
An Automated External Defibrillator (AED) is a small portable electrical device that automatically analyses potentially life threatening cardiac rhythms in a patient and treats it by defibrillation, the application of an electrical shock, to allow the heart to re-establish normal rhythms. It is designed to be used primarily by first responders in cardiac emergencies who may not be fully trained in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
Early defibrillation, the third critical link in the Chain of Survival, can greatly improve survival rates for out-of-hospital cardiac arrests caused by irregular heart rhythms (ventricular fibrillation). Defibrillation works best in the first few minutes after the onset of cardiac arrest. If it is initiated too late, the heart may not respond to the electric therapy. For every minute of delay in giving CPR and defibrillation following collapse, the survival rate decreases by 7-10%.
The CPR+AED Certification @ SHF will equip Singaporeans with the necessary life-saving skills to respond in cardiac emergencies. It provides participants with up-to-date knowledge and skills to perform CPR and use AED effectively and safely.
The 4-hour course features lectures and hands-on simulation that empowers the trainees to learn and role-play through interaction in a conducive, non-threatening environment. Participants will be coached and guided systematically in the medical protocol that includes determining unresponsiveness, activating emergency medical services as well as performing CPR and use AED on adult casualties.
The course objectives are:
- To understand the importance of the Chain of Survival
- To understand the rescuer’s role and response to cardiac arrest victims
- To demonstrate knowledge and skills in CPR
- To demonstrate knowledge of using AED
The CPR+AED Certification @ SHF is in full compliance with the national standards. Singapore Heart Foundation is a recognised National Resuscitation Council accredited AED training centre.
The CPR+AED Certification @ SHF features the CPR 3A (Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere) Kit, a complete and self-instructional kit that allows participants to:
- Focus on practical skills with intensive hands-on training during and after the course
- Transfer their CPR know-how and skills to family members
- Build confidence in performing quality CPR as participants and their families are able to refresh their life-saving skills as often as desired
- Grassroots organisations
- Sports organisations
- Responsible members of the public
- Workplace safety and first aid teams
- Families of heart patients
- Families with elderly parents
- Families with members at risk of cardiovascular diseases
Participants must attain a minimum of 80% for theory and achieve at least 90% competency for practical test before a CPR+AED Certificate is awarded. The Certification is issued by the Singapore Heart Foundation.
Yes, the certification is valid for 2 years from the date of training.
All are welcome to sign up. There are no special requirements to learn CPR+AED. Do note, however, that participants must be physically able to kneel on the floor for the hands-on simulation.
The training manual will be mailed two weeks prior to the commencement of the course. Participants are strongly advised to read the material for maximum learning benefits.
Unless otherwise stated, trainings are held every second Saturday of the month, from 1.30pm to 5.30pm, at the SHF-Isetan Foundation Heart Wellness Centre, 9 Bishan Place #07-01, Junction 8 (Office Tower).
SHF reserves the right to change the venue and training schedule in the interest of availability, equipment needed and class size.
Participants are requested to be suitably and comfortably dressed: T-shirt and pants/slacks with comfortable shoes. Avoid wearing dress, skirts and low-cut tops as the course requires (slight) physical activity.
Companies, communities and the public can attend the course at a rate of S$100 (excluding GST) per person*.
* Includes the CPR 3A (Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere) Kit valued at S$60 and a step-by-step training manual.
Registration form is available at the SHF office and can also be downloaded here. Registration is confirmed only upon receipt of a complete registration form and payment.
Payment to be made either by cash or nets on the day of course.
Download the registration form.
For more information or to sign up for the CPR+AED Certification @ SHF, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 6354 9340 / 54 / 55.