- F.U.N SPECIALISTS
- STEP UP FOR HEALTH
- GAMES & QUIZZES
- 健康饮食 - HEALTHY EATING
- Baked Chicken Ngoh Hiang
- Curried Pumpkin Soup
- Curried Quinoa with Pumpkin & Kidney Beans
- Healthy Hot Cross Buns
- Mackerel & Pumpkin Millet Porridge
- Mrs Lily Singh's Chapatti
- Mrs Lily Singh's Mung Bean Curry
- Mum's Healthy Yam Rice
- Soba Noodles with Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Wholemeal Bread
- Wholemeal Spaghetti Bolognese
- Herbs Baked Rainbow Fish
- Ayam Masak Merah
- Chicken Wholemeal Wraps with Avocado Mango Salsa
- Bulgur and Chickpea Salad
- Stuffed Vegetable Whole Wheat Paratha
- Tandoori Chicken
- Pineapple Brown Rice
- Thai Green Chicken Curry
- Seafood Tom Yum Soup
- Phat Thai with Brown Rice Beehoon
- Mrs Lily Singh’s Low Fat Vegetable Biryani
- USEFUL MATERIALS
Mum's Healthy Yam Rice
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Raw brown rice, 3 cups (washed)
Yam, 700 g (peeled, washed & cut into thin round slices)
Chicken breast, 500 g (skin & visible fat removed, & cubed)
Fresh shitake mushrooms, 5 large (washed & chopped)
Dried shrimps, 100 g (soaked & washed)
Water, 6 cups
Cooking oil (corn, soybean, or canola), 2 tablespoons
Garlic, 5 cloves (finely minced)
Shallots, 5 small (finely chopped)
Five spice powder, 3 level teaspoons
Fish sauce, 3 tablespoons
Black pepper, ½ teaspoon
Celery, 4 stalks (washed & cubed)
Spring onions, 3 sprigs (finely cut)
Coriander, 1 sprig (leaves only)
Red Chillies, 3 medium (seeds removed, finely sliced)
- Wash the brown rice. Transfer the rice to a rice cooker and add 6 cups of water. Leave the rice to soak in the water, without switching on the rice cooker.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a non-stick wok and add the yam slices.. Brown the yam slices over a medium heat, until golden brown on both sides. Remove and set aside to cool, and then cut into them medium cubes.
- Switch on the rice cooker to cook the rice.
- Heat up another 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in the wok. Add the shallots and garlic, and fry until they are golden brown and fragrant. Remove and set aside.
- Add the dried prawns, chicken, yam cubes, mushrooms, five spice powder, fish sauce, pepper, fried onions and garlic. Stir-fry for a few minutes until well-combined.
- When the rice has boiled, leave it to cook for another five minutes.
- Transfer the contents in the wok to the rice cooker. Leave it to continue to cook.
- When the rice is cooked and the water has evaporated, add in the celery cubes. Stir well to combine the rice and ingredients.
- Serve the yam rice hot, garnished with sliced chillies, spring onions, and coriander.
Nutrients per Serving:
- Energy: 347 kcal
- Fat: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 45 mg
- Protein: 18 g
- Carbohydrates: 59 g (~4 CHO Exchanges)
- Dietary Fibre: 5 g
- Sodium: 415 mg