Fruit and vegetables are not only delicious but are also packed with fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Have a variety of fruit and vegetables of different colours to reap all the goodness. Use the Heart Smart Eating Plate as a guide for portion control.
Eat a Rainbow!
Tips on Having More Fruit and Vegetables
- Have a fruit for breakfast daily.
- Add fruit such as berries and bananas to your cereal, oats or toast.
- Include one or two vegetable as side dishes for lunch and dinner.
- Choose beans, coleslaw, corn on the cob, or a side salad instead of French fries.
- Add chopped vegetables such as carrots, bell peppers and mushrooms into your recipes.
- When cooking vegetables, use low heat to minimise nutrient loss and go for lower fat cooking methods.
- Puree fruit and vegetables into a delicious sauce to go with your dishes.
- Instead of dessert, have a fruit at the end of your meal.
- Feeling peckish between meals? Have some fruit or raw vegetable sticks as a snack.
- Go for whole fruit and vegetables instead of fruit/vegetable juices.
Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information only, it is not meant to substitute direct medical advice from your doctor or clinician.
Click for more heart smart eating tips