- Learn to Shop Smart Through the 360o Virtual Shopping Experience
- Look for the Healthier Choice Symbol
The Healthier Choice Symbol is awarded to products lower in saturated fat, sodium and sugar. It also includes products higher in whole-grains and calcium. Products with the “Trans Fat free” logo contain no or negligible amount of trans fat (less than 0.5g per 100g of the product).
- Look for Endorsements
SHF endorses products that are beneficial to heart health. These products carry the SHF logo.
- Read the Nutrition Information Panel to select products
- with lower fat (especially saturated fat and trans fat) content
- less sugar
- lower sodium content
- Inspect the ingredient list
- Products with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats are likely high in saturated fat and trans fat
- Sugar can also be listed as sucrose, glucose, fructose, syrups and molasses
- Ingredients that contain sodium include salt, sodium chloride, monosodium glutamate, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), sodium nitrate and sodium benzoate
Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information only, it is not meant to substitute direct medical advice from your doctor or clinician.
Click for more heart smart eating tips