- Bulgur wheat, dry, 1 cup
- Boiling water, 2 cups
- Chickpeas (garbanzos), 1 can – rinsed & drained
- Spring onions, ¼ cup – chopped
- Coriander (cilantro), 2 sprigs – chopped
- Onion, 1 medium – chopped finely
- Mint leaves, 2 tbsp – chopped (optional)
- Cherry tomatoes, 20 no – diced
- Lemon juice, 6 tbsp (from 1 lemon)
- Olive oil, 2 tbsp
- Salt, ½ tsp
- Black pepper, 1 tsp
- In a bowl, pour in the dry bulgur wheat, followed by 2 cups of boiling water. Cover and leave for at least half an hour, or until the bulgur swells and softens. Drain away any excess water and leave aside to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the dressing by whisking together lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper.
- Add chickpeas, onion, spring onions, coriander, mint and cherry tomatoes to the bulgur. Pour the dressing over the bulgur mixture and stir to coat well. Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Approximate Nutritional Analysis (Per serving):
Energy: 155 kcal
Dietary fibre: 4g
You can substitute chickpeas with other forms of lean protein, such as lean roasted chicken (cubed), or grilled tofu, or grilled fish.