(Contributed by Mrs Lily Singh, client of Heart Wellness Centre)
- Basmati rice, 2 cups
- Mixed vegetables (cauliflower, potato, French beans & carrot), chopped into small pieces, 3 cups
- Green peas, ½ cup
- Green chillis, finely sliced, 2
- Medium-sized red onions, finely sliced, 3
- Red chilli powder, 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder, 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds, 1 tsp
- Cloves, 4
- Mustard seeds, ½ tsp
- Black pepper powder, ½ tsp
- Tomatoes (diced), 4
- Low fat yoghurt, ½ cup
- Cashew nuts, 3 tbsp
- Raisins, 3 tbsp
- Salt, 1 tsp
- Olive oil, 1 tsp
- Wash the basmati rice and cook in a rice cooker, adding enough water, ⅔ of the raisins and all the cashew nuts.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a wok. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and cloves. Stir. Add onions and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add a little hot water if it is drying up. Add green chillis, red chilli powder, and cinnamon.
- Add potatoes and carrots, stir, cover and let it cook for a few minutes; add a little hot water if it’s too dry.
- Add tomatoes, cauliflower, and French beans. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are cooked.
- Add yoghurt to the pan. Bring to a boil. Add salt to taste. Turn off fire.
- Fluff rice with a fork and add to the vegetables in the pan. Stir to mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and the rest of the raisins.
- Serve with achar and mung bean curry or raita.
Note: For additional protein, you can add baked diced taukwa or low fat paneer.
Approximate Nutritional Analysis (Per serving):
Energy: 282 kcal