Recipe contributed by Eat Right Pte Ltd, prepared by Chef Mazlan Boyamin, Professional Chef & Culinary Instructor; and Mr Derrick Ong, Principal Dietitian.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 4 Eggs
- 8 slices of Gardenia Fine Grain Wholemeal Bread
- 1⅓ cup (325 mL) of Captain Oats Quick Cook Oatmeal
- ½ cup (125 mL) of orange juice – no added sugar version, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) of cinnamon, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) of vanilla extract
- 2 tsp (10 mL) of orange zest
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) of trans-fat free margarine
- ½ cup (125 mL) of orange juice
- ½ cup (125 mL) of strawberry jam – no added sugar version
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) of orange zest
- Mix eggs, orange juice, ½ tsp (2mL) of cinnamon, vanilla extract, and orange zest in a shallow bowl. Combine the oats and remaining cinnamon in another shallow bowl. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture, then into oats, coating both sides.
- Melt the trans-fat free margarine in a large frying pan over medium heat. Place 2 slices of bread in a pan. Cook for about 2 minutes until bread browns and starts to puff up. Turn over and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Repeat same steps with the other 6 slices.
- Meanwhile, combine juice and jam in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and cook without the lid on for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally until reduced to a thin syrup. Remove from the heat and add zest. Drizzle over warm toast and serve.
- Orange juice – use the no added sugar version or even better, freshly squeezed! Zest the orange before juicing it to use the zest for the recipe.
- Strawberry jam – use the no added sugar version.
- Serve syrup on the side to limit sugar intake.
Nutrition Information (Per Serving):
Energy: 400.4 kcal
Protein: 19.1 g
Total Fat (Saturated Fat): 15.3 g (3.8 g)
Carbohydrate: 58.4 g
Dietary Fibre: 8.6 g
Sodium: 374 mg