Recipe contributed by Eat Right Pte Ltd, prepared by Chef Mazlan Boyamin, Professional Chef & Culinary Instructor; and Mr Derrick Ong, Principal Dietitian.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup of brown rice, cooked
- 450g of chicken breast, skinless and boneless, cubed
- 2 tbsp of sesame oil
- 3 cups of broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tbsp of low sodium light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar/honey
- ½ tsp of ginger, grounded
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp of Thai sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds
- 1/8 tsp of GoodSalt® (Lower Sodium) & ground pepper to taste
- Cook the rice according to the directions on its packaging.
- Cut the chicken breast into cubes or bite-size pieces. Heat the sesame oil in a large pan. Cook the chicken pieces for 4 to 5 minutes until they are browned and cooked through. Add GoodSalt® & ground pepper.
- While the chicken pieces are being cooked, bring a pot of water to boil. Blanch the broccoli florets in the boiling water for about 3-4 minutes and then plunge them into ice water until cool. The broccoli florets should look bright green yet tender and crispy.
- Using a container with a tight-fitting lid, combine the water, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and chilli sauce. Shake the container until the sauce is well blended and add it to the chicken pieces, on medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Drain the water from the broccoli florets and add them into the chicken pieces in the pan. Cook on medium heat for another 1 minute.
- On a platter, plate the rice, chicken pieces and broccoli florets, scraping all that good sauce out of the pan over the chicken.
- Sprinkle on the sesame seeds and the dish is ready to be served.
- Select whole grains (brown rice, red rice etc) to obtain a higher amount of dietary fibre and essential minerals in your diet.
- Pack your meal with colourful vegetables to meet your 2 servings of vegetables daily.
- Use oils and sauces sparingly to lower your calories intake.
- Opt for lean meat without the skin to lower your fat intake.
Nutrition Information (Per Serving):
Total Fat (Saturated Fat): 13.0g (2.5g)
Dietary Fibre: 5.0g